Boys Safe and Recovering in Hospital After Terrifying Ordeal in Thai Cave

The boys are finally safe and their conditions stable while their pulse still checks by doctors after their rescue from the cave in north Thailand. After the boys were wrapped up and ready to transfer, each received a mild tranquilliser to calm their nerves, Thailand’s Junta Chief told television reporters. Chaiwetch Thanapaisal, the director of the Chiang Rai Prachanukroch Hospital shared the boys will remain under the care of doctors and in the hospital for at least another 10 days.

The rescue mission consisting of 13 divers of which half were British including the boy’s football coach of 25 years old as well as navy seals retrieved the boys after a three-day operation that was risky. On Sunday four of the boys were freed, another four followed on Monday and the final four rescued on Tuesday.

The boys decided to explore the cave after a football practice session with their coach on the 23rd of June. The went mission after bursts of monsoon rain the water level inside the cave rise and left the boys trapped. Only 10 days later two British divers discovered the boys huddled on a dry shelf above the water. What added concern was that more monsoon rains were forecasted and that oxygen levels were falling inside the cave, which forced rescue workers from several countries to work as fast as possible to rescue the group of young boys.

What made the rescue possible was the fact that rescuers pumped water out of the face to allow for air pockets to form. According to the US rescue team, the young boys endured dives into zero visibility for a period of up to half an hour placed in harnesses and then high-lined across some parts of the cave. US air force specialist, Derek Anderson, told reporters that the young boys between the ages of 11 to 16 were “incredibly resilient”, and what was most important was the fact that the coach and the boys discussed staying strong.

Thongchai Lertwilairatanapong, Public health inspector praise the boys for taking care of each other and themselves despite losing weight and the conditions in the cave during the 18-day ordeal. The first four boys rescued can walk and eat regular food, while the four rescued on Monday remain on soft food. The public health inspector also shared that three of the boys rescued suffer from lung infections and is on medication for a week. The rescue team laid a rope to the cave as a guide to get in and out and the 12 boys call it a lifeline. About 100 people waited outside the cave as each boy was saved via the work of dozens of rescue workers guiding through nine chambers. For the parents of the 12 boys, it is extremely fortunate that the outcome was this positive and it shows what the world can be accomplished in a once in a lifetime rescue operation.

Comments are closed.